Making Safeguarding Personal

Black woman looking at the camera

What is it Making Safeguarding Personal (MSP)?

The Making Safeguarding Personal (MSP) programme has been running since 2010. The Care Act 2014 guidance required adult safeguarding practice to:

  • Be person led
  • Be outcome focused
  • Enhance choice and control
  • Improve quality of life, wellbeing and safety
  • Aim towards resolution or recovery

MSP puts people more in control of their own safeguarding and generates a more person-centred set of outcomes. The key focus is to develop a real understanding of what the person wishes to achieve, recording their desired outcomes and seeing how well these have been met.


MSP is intended to make safeguarding more person-centred, develop more meaningful engagement of people in safeguarding and improve outcomes. It gives staff permission to spend time with people, asking them what they want by way of outcomes at the beginning and throughout the safeguarding process.

How is this achieved?

MSP requires the person at the centre of a section42 enquiry, to be consulted about what they would like to happen as a result of the enquiry and to have their views taken into consideration;

Outcomes that people may wish to achieve as a result of a s42 enquiry include:

  • For the abuse to stop and to feel safer
  • To have help to protect themselves in the future
  • To have help to feel more confident
  • For the abuser to stay away from them
  • To be involved in what happens next
  • For people involved in their case to do what they say they will
  • For the Police to prosecute
  • To access any support available
  • To make more friends

The person’s desired outcome may not always be achievable (for example if they wish for the Police to prosecute, but there is no evidence that a crime has been committed). In these circumstances, the person’s view should still be recorded, but practitioners need to talk to them about why their desired outcome may not be achievable.

Independent Advocacy

People who lack capacity or have substantial difficulty being involved in the s42 enquiry, who do not have an ‘appropriate individual’ to support them, should be referred for Independent Advocacy to support them to be able to express their views.

Six Principles of Safeguarding


You should call 101 to report crime and other concerns that do not require an emergency response.

When should I use 101?

Use 101 to report crimes and concerns such as:

  • Your car has been stolen
  • Your property has been damaged
  • You suspect drug use or dealing in your neighbourhood

Or to:

  • Give the police information about crime in your area
  • Speak to the police about a general enquiry

You should always call 999 when it is an emergency, such as when a crime is in progress, someone suspected of a crime is nearby, when there is danger to life or when violence is being used or threatened.