Concerns as a member of the public

Adult abuse happens every day. You may be aware of it, but don’t know what to do about it.

n the context of the legislation, specific adult safeguarding duties apply to any adult who:

  • has care and support needs and
  • is experiencing, or is at risk of, abuse or neglect and
  • is unable to protect themselves because of their care and support needs.

An adult with care and support needs may be:

  • an older person
  • a person with a physical disability, a learning difficulty or a sensory impairment
  • someone with mental health needs, including dementia or a personality disorder
  • a person with a long-term health condition
  • someone who misuses substances or alcohol to the extent that it affects their ability to manage day-to-day living.

People with care and support needs are not inherently vulnerable, but they may come to be at risk of abuse or neglect at any point due to:

  • physical or mental ill-health
  • becoming disabled
  • getting older
  • not having support networks
  • inappropriate accommodation
  • financial circumstances or
  • being socially isolated.

What are the different types of abu...


You should call 101 to report crime and other concerns that do not require an emergency response.

When should I use 101?

Use 101 to report crimes and concerns such as:

  • Your car has been stolen
  • Your property has been damaged
  • You suspect drug use or dealing in your neighbourhood

Or to:

  • Give the police information about crime in your area
  • Speak to the police about a general enquiry

You should always call 999 when it is an emergency, such as when a crime is in progress, someone suspected of a crime is nearby, when there is danger to life or when violence is being used or threatened.