Adults at risk of harm

An adult at risk of harm is any person aged 18 or over whose care and support needs/circumstances meet the three stage test below:

The 3 Stage test for a ‘Safeguarding Enquiry’

The safeguarding duties apply to an adult who:

  1. Has needs for care and support (whether or not the local authority is meeting any of those needs)

  2. Is experiencing, or at risk of, abuse or neglect

  3. As a result of those care and support needs is unable to protect themselves from either the risk of, or the experience of abuse or neglect.

Documents relating to this question


You should call 101 to report crime and other concerns that do not require an emergency response.

When should I use 101?

Use 101 to report crimes and concerns such as:

  • Your car has been stolen
  • Your property has been damaged
  • You suspect drug use or dealing in your neighbourhood

Or to:

  • Give the police information about crime in your area
  • Speak to the police about a general enquiry

You should always call 999 when it is an emergency, such as when a crime is in progress, someone suspected of a crime is nearby, when there is danger to life or when violence is being used or threatened.